- Martinsburg was founded on the upper Potomac River in 1778 during the American Revolutionary War.
- The very first United States post office was established in Martinsburg in 1792.
- Martinsburg is the home of Belle Boyd, a known Confederate spy. Her home still stands as a historic museum open to the public, called "Belle Boyd House".
- Several caves and tunnels lie beneath the town of Martinsburg that were once part of the Underground Railroad and were eventually used as hideouts by train bandits.
- According to William Still, "The Father of the Underground Railroad", Robert Brown escaped from slavery in Martinsburg on Christmas night, 1856.
- The Great Railroad Strike of 1877 began in Martinsburg.
- The Interwoven Mills began operations in Martinsburg in 1891 and grew to be the largest manufacturer of men's hosiery in the world.
- Over 1,000 Martinsburgian men fought in WWI.
- During World War II, the Newton D. Baker Hospital in Martinsburg treated thousands of soldiers wounded in the war. In 1946 this military hospital became a part of the Veterans Administration. The VA Medical Center in Martinsburg still provides care to United States veterans.
Pretty cool, huh? I have always been fascinated with history, so researching these facts about my hometown was a fun learning experience for me. I hope that you find them just as interesting!
The city has grown and evolved in many ways, but despite the changes, it will always be the place that we call home. If you take a look at the picture of the map above, you will see a navy blue beard pasted in the far, right-hand corner of the state. That's where we are located, making all of the beard products you enjoy with lots of love. The next time a Mountaineer Brand product makes it's way to your doorstep or mailbox, take comfort in knowing that it was hand-crafted with care from our family to yours.